Cochem’s city archive is located in its historic town hall (address: Markt 1), which was built in 1739. It is run by volunteers and is accessible to the public upon prior appointment.
The city’s archive holdings were put together in its current form in the years 1982 and onwards by archivist and honorary citizen Theo Maringer.
The archive holdings are structured as follows:
● Administrative documents from 1767 and onwards, compilations of legislation and official journals, many of whom are to be found in the Landeshauptarchiv in Koblenz (Inventories 624 and 655).
● Construction documentation of buildings edified in Cochem from 1900 and onwards.
● Newspaper archive from 1845 and onwards (partly incomplete) with collections of the “Cochemer Anzeiger”, “Cochemer Zeitung” und “Cochemer Kreisanzeiger”.
● A collection of old city views and historic photographs.
● The archive’s holdings are completed by all kinds of documents that are of archival value, given to the archive by citizens and enterprises as well as former citizens or their relatives (chronicles, old documents and pictures, literature on Cochem and its surroundings, photograph albums etc.).